Saturday, March 7, 2009

Update on Lucy

It's early - real early - Saturday morning. There is thunder outside and it's raining. Lucy is still at the animal hospital and I worry that she is frightened. I saw her yesterday morning. Then my mom and I went again in the afternoon. Rick, Daisy and I went to see her last night and saw small changes in her again. She tried several times to stand up, but she wasn't very successful. She would get up on her legs and then slowly lean over to the side and go back down. She just seems exhausted, plus she has a splint on her rear leg where they put a 'line' in her to hook up her fluid, so it makes standing and walking even more of a challenge.
She's been shaved in areas so the vet and vet techs can work on her without hair in the way. Her little legs have a poodle cut - she still has the little puffs of hair on her feet but her legs have been shaved. And there is a huge patch of hair missing from one side of her tummy, where they hooked up her heart monitor. Because of her head injury she doesn't seem to recognize us or key words that before the accident would have had her ears pivoting around. Things like 'treat', 'outside', 'Daisy', 'gramma'. We're hopeful that with time she will regain some of her old self, but if that doesn't happen, we're okay with that. I think of people that have had massive head trauma and the amount of time it takes for them to recover. Bob Woodruff is the first one that comes to my mind. He had an amazing recovery, but it didn't come overnight. I remember the ABC special about his injury and how he slept for a long time and the rehabilitation he had. I'm hoping Lucy wll have that kind of promise. We've got a lot of time and a lot of love for her so we'll just take each day as it is. It's weird the way things happen - Earlier this year I was knitting a sweater for Daisy because she is always so cold with her thin hair. I was using a pattern from a book and following the directions for the smallest size - which still ended up way too big for Daisy, but guess what - it fit Lucy. I thought at the time, she'll never wear this, it will be too hot for her. But now with some of her coat gone, and because of her condition, she does get the shivers. So tomorrow I'm taking the pink sweater with the stick pearl buttons with us to the hospital. If they release her, she'll have some protection and look great too. It hasn't even been 72 hours. I wonder what she will be like a year from now - so someone remind me a year from now to read what I wrote in my blog today.
Thank you everyone who wrote, called or emailed about Lucy. Maybe next week you'll see her at the store in her new pick sweater.

4 comments:

Lorna said...

Hi Cindi, I just happened on your blog from a link I followed from Chris's blog. I own 3 little yorkies and know they are very resilient and tough for their size. I will be praying she recovers from this and will find her way back to being her old self. She is lucky to have a family that loves her and is willing to put in the effort to care for her. Healing thoughts coming from WI.

Anne E. Mitchell said...

Chis has been keeping me up to date on everything. I am so happy that things are going so well for all of you!
My most power and healing thoughts were coming to you from me and my two kitties here in Tucson.
All of my best to you.
Anne Mitchell

Jamie said...

Hi Cindi

Cris is my sister. She told me about your poor little Lucy. I was so sorry to hear about her accident. My thoughts and prayers are with her. She's lucky to have such loving people. Jamie

cindi's blahg blahg blahg said...

Thanks everyone for the warms thoughts about Lucy. Right now she is laying next to me, with her tongue out of course, and her eyes are open. Every moment she amazes me. (Jamie - where's your blog? Don't you follow after your sister's example??)