Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Expressive Brits?

I love to watch the PBS show Antiques Roadshow. (It just goes along with my love of history and art.) While watching it I find the differences between the American version and the BBC version comical. The Americans put their emotions 'out there'. When someone tells me that the vase I bought for $2 at a tag sale is really worth $1,000 - I would be jumping up and down with glee! Big smile - the whole bit. My mind reeling with what to do next. Sell it? Insure it? Display it or hide it? Now, go across the big the pond and picture the English lady who was just informed that a brooch that she bought at an antique shop for 2 quid is valued at 3000 pounds. Her face expressionless at first, then slowly the corners of her mouth turn up slightly - kind of like watching the Grinch when he is plotting how to spoil the Whoville Christmas - then the corners of her mouth revert to the straight firm line and she replies "Well then." Maybe she's in shock - maybe she is worried about getting it home safe from muggers. Whatever she's thinking, she's keeping it neatly tucked inside herself. I'd like to imagine that when she reaches home she draws all the draperies closed, locks all the windows and doors. Then, very lady-like, she prances around the drawing room loudly humming a song that she made up in her head.

Now speaking of ladies dancing....you should all take a look at this clip.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/693644/crazy_dance_lady/%20target

1 comment:

Cristina Leonard said...

OMG! That video is hilarious! It kind of resembles me doing Tae Bo.